To get your Monday off to a good start, I thought I'd quickly share this delicious thing that has become a regular part of my days lately...
This year I re-committed to the oh-so-important practice of treating my body with love and respect and nourishing myself lovingly too.
I'm a sensualist and love all things delicious, but I can go a little too far down the butter-bacon-bread-cream&wine path sometimes... I still love to go there but I'm working towards "occasional fun indulgence" for that experience.
My daily self-care includes lots of fresh organic fruits and veggies, salmon, soy, quinoa, free range organic chicken and local eggs, then more veggies and maybe a glass of red wine. It works so well for me in terms of vitality and general well-being. I struggle with mood and have experienced episodic major depression, so using every avenue to keep my mood elevated is a really important part of my overall healthcare. Food can be our best medicine.
So anyway, I've been experimenting with smoothies, and have come up with one that I really love, and it packs a punch too. I blend:
- one small organic banana
- a handful of organic strawberries (or raspberrries or balckberries, whatever is fresh in season)
- a handful of frozen organic blueberries (we're growing our own this year!)
- about 1 T Kefir (a bazillion more probiotics than yogurt)
- about 1/2 C yogurt (I use plain organic nonfat)
- 1T almond butter
- 1 t black sesame seeds (amazing antioxidant)
- 1 t oatbran (yay soluble fiber)
- 1 t raw cocoa nibs (or powder if you don't like little crunchies in your smoothie)
- a little chunk of organic lemon including skin
- a little chunk of organic fresh ginger including skin