3.12.09

Odilon Redon's Buddha - I've probably posted it before, but I love it so much!

I've had a few nights in a row of being up late working - and last night we came home on the 11 o'clock ferry from Winterfest (dinner at the school for my daughter's graduating class) and all the dishes from the cheesecake I made for the potluck were still sitting on the counter, mixing bowls and beaters with congealed sour cream and hardened chocolate, eggshells, butter wrappers, cocoa powder. I washed and he dried. Then I did a load of laundry and returned some e-mails. So this morning I was tired. I stayed in bed for awhile with my light box, my snoring pug, a cup of tea, and my new Shambhala Sun magazine which arrived yesterday. There's a wonderful article by John Tarrant about living with joy through difficult times and loss. I wanted to share a gem from that essay:

When I meditate it's like calling out a spell in a forgotten language. The spell slowly traces the outlines of a door, making the way out visible, even in twilight, even in the darkest, most forgotten prison. When we lose money or get a diagnosis, we might decide that this is a bad thing, but we might be wrong. Uncertainty and the unknown are not things to endure: they are things to rely on. If you don't even consider winning or losing, there will always be a doorway. -John Tarrant in "It Would Be a Pity to Waste a Good Crisis" Shambhala Sun, January 2010.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...