6.9.12

finding the beauty in every day


Today is my daughter's 20th birthday. I'm so glad she was born at this beautiful time of ripening, this time of strong sunlight and the bracing energy of new beginnings.

As I sit today in my island home, fall sunlight streaming in, crickets singing, vegan chili simmering, I remember so vividly that day 20 years ago in Los Angeles, strong sunlight streaming in, holding her in my arms for the first time and knowing her as a being of unusual grace and equanimity. She still impresses me with her self-possession and sure footedness in life, her wisdom beyond her years. I couldn't be more grateful to have the honour of being parent to this young woman. 

If all my other work in life should turn to nothing, I know that the work I did bringing this child (this woman) up in the world is most worthy, and is enough for me to have done, however imperfectly I have done it.

So just this today: remember to celebrate those you love the most and let them know what's in your heart.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...