26.6.11

Intuition and the Five Senses, Part One: Intuition and Touch/Feeling

http://api.ning.com/files/34TiE4qVtVeHmSgJkISWOjJ-ZSBnZpXWkqVNDUQW7vhCEsPicQwPoE1-WP70P1dOO48ULxGlsAGH57n1b8NuZ2mq4HNmfG8n/GreenTara2.jpg
The Green Tara - Embodied Wisdom

"Some say the soul informs the body. But what if we were to imagine for a moment that the body informs the soul, helps it adapt to mundane life, parses, translates, gives the blank page, the ink and the pen with which the soul can write upon our lives? Suppose the body is a God in its own right, a teacher, a mentor, a certified guide... What if we were  to listen deep, listen true, to the body as a powerful and holy being?"  ~ Clarissa Pinkola Estes, from Women Who Run with the Wolves


I've been thinking about intuition a lot lately. This post by mj fontaine got me thinking even more deeply... how can you tell, she asks, the difference between intuition and fear? Which little inner voice is the wise one, and which is the frightened one? It's not always that easy to know. Intuition, she says, is a muscle we must exercise regularly, then its strength will grow. Then when we hear it, we will know it. And trust it. Yes.

How does your intuition speak to you? Is it like a gentle inner voice? How else do you experience your deep wisdom?

Our intuition does speak to us through that gentle inner voice, yes, and it speaks to us through many other channels as well. The more we listen, trust, and act on our intuition, the stronger and truer the signals become. I find my intuition speaking through all of my five senses, not only through my thoughts. In this little series of posts, I'm going to look at Intuition and the Five Senses.

For today, it's Touch and Feeling.

My body has a strong sense of "Yes" and "No." Yours probably does too.

There's a reason we talk about "heartfelt" and "gut feelings."

If there's a dissonance between the body and mind, it's worth slowing down and listening. For instance, you find yourself saying "Yes, I'd love to do that," and as the words leave your mouth you feel little twist in your gut, or a tiny sinking in your heart. Your body is saying "No."

Or maybe you've just decided "That's not possible," but what you feel is a little opening in your heart, or tightening of your throat. Your body is saying "Yes it is."

Another big one for me: my body is a great judge of character. My mind, not so much.

When I meet someone new, my mind quickly decides whether I like them or not.  Then later, my body will try to alert me to the truth. I've decided I don't like someone, but when I get close to them physically, I feel a pleasant sensation of warmth. I enjoy their hug or handshake.

Conversely, I may have decided someone is very interesting and I should get to know them better. Yet the first time I am very near them, I feel a shrinking, a need to draw away.

I can't tell you how many times I should have listened the first time my body told me "this person is not for you."

I'm not just talking about romantic relationships here - I am talking about all kinds of social ties and business relationships. I believe my body really knows, on a deep level, who can be trusted and who cannot.

I know now that if  I'm willing to slow down and be present, my sense of touch and body awareness can help me with so many questions, like

Is this situation safe?
Is this person trustworthy?
Is this the right decision for me now?
Do I truly want this?

For everything from choosing a new colour for my livingroom to hiring an assistant, my body has helped me make the final cut. At times, she's way smarter than my know-it-all mind. And if the two of them work together - then I'm truly standing in my power.


Do you listen to the intuitive signals your body sends you? What would help you to listen more deeply? How has your body wisdom helped you make important decisions?

6 comments:

Carole Reid said...

Great post Bronwyn.

Mjfontaine said...

I love the post as you posted this i was creating a podcast of the feeling of intuition.

Mjfontaine said...

oh I think I posted an unfinished post. I was posting a podcast on feelings and intuition.

And this came into my inbox great minds think alike. I love this post.

Bronwyn said...

@Carole, Thank you!!
@chgoddess; your post inspired this post...can't wait to hear the podcast! link it here if you want, I'd love to share it.

Madame One Tree said...

B: This is a wonderful post. I have been receiving some life lessons from the universe about trusting my own intuition, which is on point when I stop customizing it.


did you receive a note from me? If not, would you look in your spam filter?

Bronwyn said...

@Madame thanks, I will check!
xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...