12.1.10

DIY project: pretty pushpins!

DIY how to make decorative glass push pins pushpins thumbtacks
DIY how to make decorative glass push pins pushpins thumbtacks
DIY how to make decorative glass push pins pushpins thumbtacks

I'm cleaning my studio really thoroughly this month. Yesterday, when I started to pin images back on to my freshly painted design wall, I was disappointed with how blah my plain clear plastic push pins looked. I've seen the pretty glass magnets that people make from glass drops and images, so I thought I'd try creating some push pins the same way. It was easy, and I'm really happy with how they turned out! You can try it too.

Things you'll need:
  • some pretty magazines
  • scissors
  • white glue, acrylic medium, or any acrylic adhesive that dries clear
  • flat headed metal push pins
  • clear glass drops
  • 5 minute adhesive, the kind that comes in two tubes

DIY how to make decorate glass push pins pushpins thumbtacks1. go through your magazines, and pick some small, pretty images. High contrast, simple, graphic motifs like this one work best.

2. using the glass drop as a template, draw around your images.



DIY how to make decorate glass push pins pushpins thumbtacks3. cut out the images









DIY how to make decorate glass push pins pushpins thumbtacks4. assemble your glue, cut outs, and glass drops.








DIY how to make decorate glass push pins pushpins thumbtacks5. apply a small drop of glue to the back of the glass drop, and spread around, making sure the whole surface is covered. Press the image onto the glue, carefully pressing out all the bubbles.









DIY how to make decorate glass push pins pushpins thumbtacks 6. Set aside and let dry.

7. Mix your 5 minute epoxy according to the package directions. Messy and smelly! Use rubber gloves and open the window! Working quickly, cover the back of the pushpin with a big drop of epoxy, and press on to the back of the glass drop. Don't touch it again! Allow it to set - I left mine over night. Done!



DIY how to make decorate glass push pins pushpins thumbtacksI got excited and glued some other things to my push pins, like sea shells, beach glass, and these ceramic "buddha buttons" that I made in December. My new design wall is going to be so pretty!

Artful Reminders:


Soulful, artful island RETREATS for women - make art, journal, dance, do yoga, practice deep self care, learn to celebrate the sacred in daily life - all with a group of like minded women in our forest retreat at the heart of our Gulf Island... YUM!!!!!! Read more here, and join the mailing list here.





Seven Keys to an Artful Life - I'm so excited about launching this on-line circle for artful living - begins February 15th! Read more here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...