18.2.12

10 ways to thoroughly enjoy your weekend


Being self-employed, for years I didn't really respect the boundaries between the work week and the weekend. Work found its way into all the nooks and crannies of time in my week; evenings and late nights, during meals, and, of course, on weekends. A year or so ago I felt myself approaching burnout, and one of the first things I did was to reclaim my weekends. Yes, I had to retrain myself (and my clients!) and I felt guilty, and it was challenging. But sooooo worthwhile. Now, I look forward to my weekends as times of pure relaxation, recreation, and fun. I protect them, even when I have lots of work and tight deadlines. It's essential to my well being.

And... the big surprise? I am much more productive, better at meeting deadlines, and more creative in my work than I was when I ignored weekends and worked all hours. You should try it.

If you're like I was, nearing burnout, you may have forgotten some of the simple joys of free time, and the art of weekend activities. To get your imagination started, here are some simple things I love to do on the winter weekends:
  • Stay in bed in the morning, with coffee, my pug, fluffy pillows, a scented candle burning, my laptop (for fun only of course - Pinterest for example!), my journal, and piles of magazines.
  • Go for a long, leisurely walk, bringing my camera and leaving my heart rate monitor at home.
  • Thrift store shopping. Lately I've been scooping up old pressed glass to display candles, floral china plates and saucers for holding everything, and vintage sewing notions for crafty fun.
  • Tackle household projects. This month, it's organizing, and giving my study a makeover.
  • Enjoy leisurely, non-work-or-household-related conversations with my sweetie.
  • Try new yoga practices from magazines or podcasts.
  • Spend an afternoon in the kitchen. I putter, make complex meals, or prepare and plan the food for the week.
  • Putter in my house and make little area of beauty and order - clean out a drawer, make a gorgeous tablescape, or arrange a bowl of flowers.
  • I'm one of those people who loves to plan*, so it is actually fun for me to plan my week in my planner, or work in my Life Binder (more on that later!) Of course, this happens in a cozy chair in front of the fire, with a cup of Sumatran coffee or Coconut Chai.
  • The best thing about our crazy new giant TV is using Apple TV to catch up on TED Talks, watch last year's episodes of Downton Abbey, or, as I am today, watching hours of talks with the Dalai Lama.
 Here's what this weekend's pleasure is looking like, enjoying fresh flowers in my kitchen as I prep the week's meals, welcoming His Holiness into my livingroom, working on my recipe binder, and enjoying some coffee (organic sumatran with soy milk and agave nectar, yum), planning and journaling in front of the fire:

Would you like to share your weekend pleasures? I'd love to know what you're up to.






*My dear friend K, a very spontaneous lady, sometimes reminds me of the time she said to me "We should do something spontaneous!' and I replied "Oooh! Fun! Let's plan for it!"

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...