26.8.11

friday i'm in love: bricks and stones and stars

Hello Beautiful,

I hope that every week I can fall a little bit more in love with the world.

Seriously.

This mysterious dance we do on the earth, in human skin, it's like a love affair.

Deluded, yet exquisitely, perfectly real. Gorgeous, all encompassing, so beautiful. Perfect, ecstatic, unbelievably unfair and painful.

Sacred, mundane.
Prepare for transfiguration, miracles, euphoria, ecstasy, boredom, and dirty dishes. Then more ecstasy. Don't forget the mystery.

Love. I don't reserve it only for my most intimate beloveds: child, partner, buddha, pug, self, island. I bestow it widely, on many things and people and experiences - I love so much. Don't you?

SO Fridays on The Artful Life are devoted to being in love. And talking about it. This feature is all about whatever I fell in love with this week, on the interwebs or otherwise. And whatever I think you might fall in love with too. Little loves and big loves. So here we go:


http://imganuncios.mitula.net/homes_for_sale_in_south_simcoe_simcoe_ontario_372_900_93678353321319760.jpg 
For some reason, old brick heritage houses are making my heart go pitty-pat lately.  It's just one of those out-of-the-blue cravings - perhaps I am craving order, safety, tradition, groundedness - and, as always, beauty... I wish I could buy this beauty tomorrow, it even has a pottery studio... 

photo via resurrection fern, by margaret oomen

I love Crochet covered beach stones - the original genius behind these beauties is Margaret Oomen of resurrection fern (that's her photo above). Now it seems everyone is making them, and yes, I love them! I recently received one as a gift, and now I'm determined to make my own.

We drove down the coast a little way the other day, to pick up ceramic supplies and have a bit of a play-date. At my fave thrift store I found some crochet hooks and a big bag of vintage crochet cotton for lace making, in all kinds of lovely shades of buff, cream and white. Also a book from the 70's, Learn to Crochet in Less Than One Day. 

On the way home, after sushi, we stopped to walk the dog on the beach, and 
I filled my bag with a wonderful assortment of smooth oval beach stones, some buff, some grey granite with sparkling quartz bits, some the smoothest black. And now I am struggling with my new crochet hook, hoping to get good enough soon to attempt something simple like the one in this tutorial.

photo via thecherryblossomgirl.com, origin unknown, wish I could credit the maker, so gorgeous....

We are starlight
We are golden 
We are billion year old carbon...
I love learning about the stars. Last weekend I had my second wonderful appointment with this talented woman,  and I highly recommend her weekly column - it has helped me better understand the patterns in my life and is endlessly fascinating and mysterious. Love it.

Have a lovely weekend. Bask in the last sweet breaths of Summer. Take care of your precious self...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...