14.1.09

These beauties are blooming on my desk in front of the window. They make it a little easier to wait for the real thing. Witness the brown, barren landscape beyond - the snow has melted. Now I start waiting for Spring. I've had to make my peace with this time of year here. It's not biting cold, snowy and bright like back east, it's not mild and foggy and scented of lemon blossom like coastal California. It's dark and gray and brown and not quite freezing and it makes me groggy! It's a challenge to my sense of beauty; I have to really look. When I really look, I find snowdrops, big swell and high tide, deep quiet in the woods, trumpeter swans in pairs on the wetlands, a silence that highlights the early triumphant voices of tree frogs and returning geese. Long sweet dark mornings that let me ease into the day with cuddles then meditation then steaming earl grey tea. Early nights that bring my little family together. And seeping in around the edges slowly, slowly, the promise of Spring.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Oh, i love this post. I, too, am waiting for Spring. It's so cold here and hard to see the good things out there.

Roberta said...

The bulbs are showing some tiny green tips here in Portland. Today was crystal clear and wildly windy with flocks of birds swooping and trees bending. It had that awakening energy that is special to the very earliest signs of spring. I know we have a long way to go, but we have certainly gotten over the hump of sleepy winter.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...